We started OpenPhone with a simple question. Why has the phone seen no innovation in over a decade?
A phone number is a universal communication channel, yet the software that powers it is stuck in the past. It’s especially painful when you’re using it for work. Just ask any business that relies on the phone to talk to their customers.
We set out to build a business phone system that people would actually love using.
In the last three years, we have gone from a project to a product powering communications for thousands of small businesses and startups. We have gone from a prototype to the #1 rated business phone service on G2. And our team has grown from Mahyar and me to 50 amazing people around the world.
While it feels like we’ve come a long way, we’re just getting started.
To help us unlock the next level of growth, we’re looking for our Head of Content. Maybe this is you? Let me take you behind the scenes so you can see for yourself.
About the role
We are looking for a leader we can count on to:
- Craft and execute a content strategy that will continue to build OpenPhone’s brand, engage new and existing customers, and drive revenue.
- Formalize the tone of voice for our content and brand, and create guidelines that the whole company can follow.
- Establish the topics we should cover, the formats we should produce, and the distribution channels we should focus on.
- Work closely with our SEO Lead to double down on the early success we’ve had in creating content to address relevant searches.
- Build out the team that supports the OpenPhone blog, case studies, social channels, and content distribution overall.
- Own the distribution and promotion strategy for any content you and your team create.
- Build sensible processes and iterate on them (once we outgrow them).
- Lead with empathy and humility.
Why you should be excited about this role
- We genuinely love investing in content. This goes back to the early days of OpenPhone and sharing our lessons from YC, publishing our YC application, and openly sharing how we work. We have a lot more to share. 😊
- This is your opportunity to set the vision for our content strategy. We have some solid SEO wins under our belt already. Can you take them to the next level? Whether you want to launch a podcast, a YouTube channel, or something else, we want you to set the path.
- Content is our key growth channel. You won’t have to fight for a seat at the table.
- We’re a tight-knit, passionate group of people who love their craft. Our Marketing team is still very small and you’ll make a massive impact on the team, company, and trajectory of our business.
- You’ll help us bring a modern product to 33+ million small businesses in the US & Canada running on legacy solutions (or using their personal phone numbers).
- We’re building something people really want. Just check out our G2 reviews.
- We’re a fully distributed team and have been remote since before COVID. We love meeting up in person whenever possible (here is a fun video from our retreat in San Diego last October) and getting to know each other.
Why this might not be a good fit
- You prefer products that have a very specific persona. OpenPhone is a horizontal product. We serve thousands of small businesses and startups across industries (tech, professional services, real estate, etc.) and use cases (sales, support, operations, etc.)
- You view SEO as the enemy of otherwise great content. We believe in using search to help us inform the narrative and craft content that genuinely helps the person solve their problem.
- We’re a very fast-moving team which means priorities and initiatives can change quickly. If you’re not used to fast-paced environments, this won’t be the right fit.
- You’ve led or had a significant leadership role in driving measurable growth at your current/past role.
- You have a deep understanding of content marketing strategy led equally by data and instincts, with a track record of driving measurable results in demand generation.
- You have a track record of hiring, developing, and supporting exceptional content marketing teams (writers, creatives, video, and social media experts).
- You’re a natural storyteller. You love coming up with content ideas that will resonate with your audience and bringing those ideas to life.
- You have exceptional proofreading, editing, and writing skills. You’re someone people naturally go to for feedback on their writing.
- You have a deep understanding of different content channels and strong opinions on how the same piece of content should vary across a blog post, Twitter thread, Facebook post, and Instagram story.
- You aren’t afraid of dysfunction and, dare I say, find it fun. Every fast-growing startup always looks messier from the inside with more problems than people to solve them.
- Bonus: You have experience in SaaS. Even better if you have experience in similar product-led SaaS companies.
What’s the interview process like?
- Intro call to get to know each other.
- Call with our Co-Founder and CEO Mahyar.
- Conversation with our Head of Growth Amy.
- Exercise. We’ll ask you specific questions about some of the challenges you’ll have to solve. This is a paid exercise – we’ll compensate you for your time.
- Panel. You’ll present the exercise and get to know folks you’ll work with – our Content Marketing Manager Phillip, SEO Lead Brian, Head of Growth Amy, and Head of Design Cai.
- Offer. 🎉
How to apply
Apply here or send me a note.
Want to learn more?
Join our weekly live demo. It’s a great way to see the product in action, meet some of us, and check out what we’re up to.