Looking to call from your computer? There are a lot of reasons you’d want to have that capability. In this article, we explore which apps are available and the best one for the job.
OpenPhone: The best app to use
OpenPhone allows you to make a call from your Windows or Mac computer through an intuitive interface. You can place a call (or text) from your browser or from OpenPhone’s desktop app. Easily import your contacts, and with just one click, you’ll be connected. And, if you’re planning to use OpenPhone for business purposes, you’ll be able to differentiate work from personal calls with no problem.
How to make a call with OpenPhone in 3 easy steps
Something you’ll constantly hear about OpenPhone is how ridiculously easy it is to use and set up. Seriously, we’re not joking. After creating your account, which only takes a few minutes, you can make your first call in three easy steps.
- Create an OpenPhone account to start your free trial.
- Select your city or area code to pick a new local number (US or Canadian phone number) or toll-free number you can use to call from your computer. If you’d like, you can always port an existing phone number over too.
- Provide your credit card details. Don’t worry we don’t charge until your free trial expires and you confirm OpenPhone is a great fit. We’ll even send you a heads up when your trial is set to expire based on the email address you use to sign up.
- Click on the “Make a Call” icon (or use the shortcut by simply hitting the letter C on your keyboard).
- Enter the phone number, or type in a name from your contacts.
- Press the call button and voila! Your call is connected! 🎉
Wasn’t that easy? No training required, but if you’d like a sneak peek into signing up, watch the video below.
Can I make a call from my computer for free?
OpenPhone plans (starting at just $15 per user per month) include both unlimited calling and texting from your computer (or your smartphone) to anyone in the US or Canada from almost anywhere in the world. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Call someone from your computer and more
OpenPhone is more than just a way to call someone from your computer. It’s far easier to build relationships with your customers using dozens of other features, making it a robust business phone system for startups, small businesses, and solopreneurs. And, it allows its users to keep their personal and professional lives separate.
Here are some of the features you get with OpenPhone:
- Toll-free numbers: You want to look like you mean business.
- Voicemail transcription: It can be much easier and faster to read messages when you’re between meetings.
- Call recording: As long as you use it properly, call recording can be a big help throughout your business.
- Shared phone numbers: Whether you need someone to cover your calls while you’re out or you want multiple people to receive calls from one number, this feature gives you a lot of flexibility.
- Snippets and auto-replies: Keep your messaging consistent across the team.
- Auto-attendant: Let this virtual receptionist greet callers 24/7 and route them to the right department.
- Support for local numbers: Build a presence for your local business with a number your customers will recognize and trust.
- Super affordable international calling: Your customers span the globe.🌍 This makes low rates for international calls a huge plus.
- Business hours: You’re ready for “me” time. When the workday is done, you won’t be bothered by your business phone number ringing on your personal devices.
- Reporting and analytics: It’s good to know what’s going on behind the scenes.
- Multiple devices: No matter which mobile device you use or whether your computer runs on Windows or macOS, you can use the OpenPhone app. You can also use it in your favorite web browsers, like Chrome, Safari, or Firefox.
- Stunning, intuitive user interface: Who doesn’t like pretty things?
- Integrations with CRM and workflow tools: Life gets messy when we don’t communicate — the same is true with our apps. Integrations can help streamline your processes between all the tools that keep your business going.
Other apps you can use to call from your computer
Here are some other apps that enable you to make calls from one phone number to another via your computer.
Your phone app for Windows 11
This Microsoft app connects with your Android phone so that you can make and receive calls through a Windows PC. This serves as a fallback option when your mobile phone isn’t in reach. However, since this works with your personal number, it doesn’t allow you to separate your personal calls from your business phone calls.
Most people are familiar with FaceTime by now as a way to place audio calls (or video calls) from a Mac computer. However, like Microsoft’s Your Phone app, it uses your personal cellphone number. Plus, for some features, the person you’re calling needs to be on an Apple device as well.
With Skype, at least you won’t have to worry about using a certain device or OS. To accept incoming calls from non-Skype users, you’ll need to purchase a local number. But if you actually want to make a call from your computer, that’s a separate feature and an additional expense determined by the country or region you plan to call. Plus, you’ll have to keep an eye on the minutes you use to avoid additional charges.
Google Voice’s free option is another way you could make a call from a computer, but given the complaints about call quality and lack of customer support, it isn’t the most dependable option.
And, if you plan to make work-related calls, Google Voice lacks many of the advanced features that 21st-century businesses demand. (By the way, if you’ve tried Google Voice but are in need of an upgrade, you can easily switch your number to an OpenPhone account.)
Why calling from a computer is helpful
Again, you already have the latest and greatest iPhone. So, why would you need a calling app for your computer?
Here are a few scenarios to consider:
- You’re participating in an all-day online conference, and you’re booked solid with back-to-back live sessions. You reach for your phone to make a quick call between sessions — only to realize that after your morning coffee run, you left it in your car.
Wouldn’t it be great to be able to make that call from the PC or laptop in front of you?
- You’re the two-time salesperson of the year, and you’ve practically worn down your fingertips dialing for dollars. What if you could work your way through each of those leads in your CRM using click-to-call from your computer? Bet you might earn yourself a hat trick. 🎩
- You’re putting the finishing touches on an upcoming presentation when you remember that you have a phone call you need to return. You reach for your cell phone but realize you forgot to charge it. It’s dead as a doornail.
What if you didn’t need to interrupt your flow and instead could just open your browser and make a call in a single click?
These are just some of the scenarios where it would be helpful to use an app that allows you to make calls from a computer with an internet connection.
Now it’s your turn
The ability to call someone from a computer adds convenience and flexibility to your daily workflow. You no longer have to rely solely on your mobile phone to answer or place calls.
There are plenty of apps that will allow you to make calls from your computer, but why stop there? OpenPhone goes beyond just making phone calls. It lets you handle all your business communication, including text, from one app. And, you can use all the features from whichever device you choose — computer, tablet, or cellphone.
Give OpenPhone a try and see how it can help your business get things done. Sign up for a free trial today.
Amy is a professional B2B writer who drives results for SaaS and marketing brands. Like a chameleon, she instantly assumes a brand’s unique voice and delivers content that never bores readers.