Looking to get a US phone number? Here’s everything you need to know about how you can add a US number to your existing devices and why you should get a virtual US number.
Why you need a US phone number
If your business isn’t based in the US, but you’re currently working with US customers (or want to work with US customers), you should have a US phone number. There are many benefits to having a US phone number including:
- Your company looks bigger and more legitimate with a US number
- No international calling fees when calling your US-based customers
- US customers are far more likely to answer calls from other US numbers. Additionally, you can even select a phone number for specific cities with a large concentration of your customers.
Most international businesses think a Google Voice number will help, but it’s not possible. You can’t create a Google Voice account unless you already have a US phone number to verify your account. There are plenty of Google Voice alternatives that can help you with getting a US phone number.
With virtual phone numbers, getting a US phone number is an easy process that only takes a few minutes to set up. Instead of having to work with phone providers, setting up expensive infrastructure, and waiting weeks to get set up, there are virtual US phone number services you can work with to get your new US number.
Get a US phone number in minutes with OpenPhone. Check out for yourself why thousands of businesses use OpenPhone — sign up for a free, one-week trial.
How to get a US phone number
Getting a US phone number for your business is an easy process and only takes a few minutes to complete. For your US phone number, we recommend getting the number through OpenPhone (we’ll explain why later).
Watch the video below to learn how to sign up for an OpenPhone account and select a US, toll-free, or Canadian phone number.
- Create an account with OpenPhone
- During signup, select your city or area code in the US to pick your phone number
- Once the signup process is complete, you’re done!
- You now have a US phone number
Why OpenPhone is the best option for a US phone number
OpenPhone is a virtual business phone built specifically for startups, small businesses, and individuals throughout the world. OpenPhone works on iOS and Android devices on mobile, and web browsers for desktop users.
For international businesses and US-based companies looking to expand to other cities, OpenPhone gives you the ability to create a US phone number in just a few minutes.
This dedicated US phone number can be used for talking and texting with your customers in the US. Calling and texting to any US or Canadian number is free with OpenPhone. Best of all, your OpenPhone number works anywhere you have Internet.
Why should you use OpenPhone? We have many required features for international businesses including:
- Local US, Canadian, and toll-free numbers for the US and many other North American countries and regions
- SMS and MMS support
- Auto-attendant and call routing
- Ability to share responsibility for a phone number with your team
- Automatic call recording
- Ability to set business hours to control when you’re available to receive calls
- Multiple phone numbers tied to one account
- Works in the United States, Canada, and internationally
- Mobile apps available for iOS and Android
- Web-based app for all browsers
- Desktop apps for Mac + Windows
- Slack & email integrations
If you already have an existing US phone number, OpenPhone can port the number over, taking care of the logistics for you.
Try out your new US number for free
Ready to get a US phone number? Start calling and texting with your new OpenPhone business number here.